Acclimating and separating from parent
Ages 20 months to 3.5 years
This class is designed for a swimmer between ages 20 months and 3.5 years who is ready to learn our level 1 curriculum, but needs the assistance of a parent in order to acclimate to an aquatic environment, or needs a little more time separating from the parent. Swimmers who register as a transition will be learning our level 1 curriculum but with the assistance of a parent in the water. The parent will stay in the water for as little as 1 class or as long as the full session.
Once the teacher has determined that a parent does not need to be in the water, they will remain on the edge of the pool deck with the class and in a bathing suit until a child has been promoted to level 1. As soon as a child is ready, to swim independently with a teacher and to follow directions independently, he or she will join the level 1 class independently.
Skills to be worked on in Transition to Level 1 (same skills as Level 1, but with a parent):
- Developing a love and respect of water through safety education and practical experience
- Entering and exiting the water
- Blowing bubbles
- Submerging eyes, nose, ears, and mouth in water
- Letting go of wall and going back to wall with assistance
- Bobbing under water while holding on to the side
- Floating on back and front with assistance
- Flutter kicking from a seated position on the side
- Flutter kicking on front and back with assistance